What is Operating Authority?
Operating Authority is a motor carrier’s right to operate a commercial vehicle to transport goods and/or passengers in the United States and Canada. This unique number dictates the operation(s) of your company and the types of commodities hauled. There are several types of operating authority and depending on what your company specializes in, you may need more than one. The most common types of Operating Authority are: Motor Carrier of Property (Common/Contract), Household Goods, IEP, Freight Forwarders and Brokers. However, we can assist you with any operating authority needed to become compliant with the Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration (FMCSA).
Why do I need Operating Authority?
Anyone transporting goods or passengers in a for hire capacity is required by federal law to obtain operating authority specific to their company’s needs. If you are “found not in compliance” with the federal regulations, consequences include parking your vehicle, a citation or revocation of commercial driving privileges.
Let us help you obtain your operating authority! We can have your operating authority number (MC, MX, FF, etc.) assigned to you within (1) hour.
Our package includes:
• Motor Carrier Number Application and $300.00 filing fee
• US DOT Number
• 1st year’s BOC-3 filing
• Processing of your UCR fees (UCR fees will still be due)
• Federal registration requirements for states traveling through
• Interstate Trucker’s Guide to Hours of Service
• Driver Qualification File and forms
• Safety Compliance Overview Educational Packet
• Vehicle Maintenance Packet with Forms
• EIN assignment (if not already obtained)
• Free, unlimited consultation
All operating authority packages are $300.00 per the FMCSA Operating Authority fee scale + the fee for the BOC-3 filing costing you a total of $425.00. Government Filings LLC does NOT add any additional fees to process your operating authority paperwork. The $125.00 is for your BOC-3 package. You can refer to the BOC-3 page on our website for what it includes.