What is Operating Authority?
Operating Authority is your right to operate a commercial vehicle to transport goods or passengers. The FMCSA assigns you (or your company) a unique number and it will dictate your company’s operations and commodities hauled.
There are several types of operating authority and depending on what your company specializes in, you may need more than one. The most common types are: Common Carrier, Contract Carrier, Freight Forwarders and Brokers. However, we can assist you with any operating authority needed to become compliant with the Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration (FMCSA).
The FMCSA charges $300.00 and immediately assigns two unique numbers to you. They are the MC/MX/FF number and a DOT number. The DOT number is issued at no cost. The $300.00 is specifically for the operating authority number. Government Filings LLC can assist you in obtaining your operating authority today (within the hour) for a fee of $425.00. This fee is $300.00 for the operating authority and $125.00 for the BOC-3 filing that is required. There are NO other fees associated with obtaining your authority and there is no additional fee on top of the $300.00 to complete the application on your behalf. The $425.00 will include the following:
- Motor Carrier application and $300.00 filing fee
- DOT number
- 1st year’s BOC-3 filing
- Registration requirements for states you will travel through
- Interstate Trucker’s Guide to Hours of Service
- Driver Qualification Packet
- Safety Compliance Overview Educational Packet
- Vehicle Maintenance Packet with Forms
- EIN assignment (if not already obtained)
- Next steps and instructions on how to complete them
**Your MC and DOT numbers MUST be visibly displayed on both sides of your vehicle. **